What's happening with the Hill family!

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Because that's the way God made it.

I was talking with a friend this morning after church and she was telling me how she was in an awkward conversation with her four year old about why girls and boys have different parts. He really sprung this on her and she said she just didn't know what to say. I do.
"Because that's the way God made us."
Now, I also shared with her that my husband has requested that I lay off of using this answer, because apparently I do it a lot. I know that the day is coming when my child will officially be smarter than me and I am prepared to accept that. There is tons of stuff I don't know and Connor is the king of endless questioning. Why is the sky blue? Why do I have two arms? Why is dirt dirty? Frankly, I have no idea, so I tell him, "Because that is the way God made it." Is it a total cop out answer, yes. Am I ashamed of it, no. Right now it works and I would like to keep up the facade that his mother is a genius for as many years as possible.
It is really bothering Matt though. He has visions of Connor sitting down for his medical board exams and in response to some open ended medical question writing, "Because that's the way God made it." Somehow he doesn't think that is going to inspire confidence in a doctor.
The other night, Connor comes in and asks me, "Mom, why does a volcano get hot?" Um, I don't know. So I gave him my standard answer and his father freaked out. Two hours later they have googled, discussed thoroughly, created some sort of powerpoint and are in the midst of a "volcano experiment" involving exploding a can of Diet Dr. Pepper in my bathtub. Now Connor can explain molten lava and gasses to you to an annoying degree. I earned two uninteruppted hours of TV time. I ask you, who is the smartest now?

No comments:

Post a Comment