What's happening with the Hill family!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I'd like to swing on a star

For the last couple of weeks Connor has been pretty much an angel child. Not that he isn't usually, but well, he isn't. Since he turned four we have been dealing with a child trying to find his place in the world and we have struggled with disobedience, willfulness and some other highly annoying habits. But lately, all that drama has basically disappeared and he has been on his absolute best behavior. It all felt very unnatural and even Matt was getting weirded out by the total change.

He has become a model of good manners, every request has been answered with an automatic yes m'am or yes sir without anyone having to remind him. He is the first to volunteer to help out with anything and he does it with a smile on his face. He has about helped his little brother into an early grave, chasing him around with diapers and force feeding him yogurt until he screams for some personal space. He is complimentary of every single thing we do. I dropped an egg on the floor while making breakfast the other morning and Connor announced, "Mommy you are the most beautiful girl that ever cleaned up egg off the floor." In short, he has turned into Eddie Haskell and it is freaking us out.

I hate that I am such a cynic about my already sweet little boy's transformation into a walking talking package of high fructose corn syrup, but I just kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. I just had a feeling, maternal instinct I guess, that he wanted something and it had to be something good because he has really committed a lot of time and effort into laying the groundwork. Well tonight that other shoe finally fell and he did not disappoint. He snuggled up to me on the couch after picking up his room, making his bed and tucking his brother in, complete with a laying of the hands bedtime prayer worthy of Billy Graham. He asked me in a sweet little voice if I thought he had been a good boy and if I liked how nice he was being to everyone. I told him yes, I thought he had been a wonderful boy and that I was so proud of how helpful and loving he had been. He then said in a tiny angel's voice, "Mommy, I love you so much can I have a favor?" Ahh, the moment I had been waiting for! What could this favor possibly be?

"Mommy, I want to go to space. Tonight."

Oh. Is that all? I could tell he had put a lot of thought into this plan so I played along for a while and plus, I always like an insight into where his highly complicated mind takes him. He then shared with me that he has been thinking about going to space for his "whole entire life" (or at least two weeks) and he has a ship ready to take him to "Nectune" then maybe Saturn if they can land on the rings. He even had a bag packed. He brought out his rolling suitcase full of canned goods, a pint of blueberries, his books on space (naturally) and, here is the heartbreaking part, a picture of Hudson. It was all incredibly serious.

So, what's a mother to do? I let him go. I had to, he has worked so hard and after all, he has been thinking about it for his whole entire life. He is in his room right now, fully dressed with his suitcase at the ready waiting on a ride to Nectune and Saturn, weather permitting. He told his parents that he loved us and that he would for sure be gone before breakfast but probably back before his summer party at school tomorrow. Apparently Nectune isn't that far.

I think I am in for my most interesting summer yet.....

No comments:

Post a Comment