What's happening with the Hill family!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The birds, the bees and the Mexican food

Connor's favorite thing is for Matt and I to tell him the story of the day he was born. He absolutely loves it. He likes us both to tell it because he like the different perspectives. We have been telling this story for several years now and he now likes to take an interactive role. He loves the drama (shocking, I know). The anxious waiting, the family all gathered together, the spur of the moment C-section and finally......his entrance into the world. He wants to know what everyone's face looked like when they first laid eyes on him, how loud his cries were and if the doctor thought he was tall.

He could tell this story in his sleep and it always make me happy to tell it. However, it has been leading to some uncomfortable questioning about the origin of babies. Since my pat answer of "because that's the way God made it" is no longer cutting it, I am forced to come up with some technical answers and frankly, I don't want to. Currently he is under the belief that some babies get picked up by families as they are floating around in baskets. He gleaned this particular Old testament jewel from an extensive study of the baby Moses story in Sunday School. I'm okay with this because it buys me more time.

But with the constant retelling of the Day Connor was Born, he is starting to put some more thought into things and I have to prepare myself. Matt was telling him the other night and the next morning Connor came to me and said he had been thinking and had some questions. Fantastic. He said that Daddy told him after he was born, the nurses cleaned him off and took him to the nursery to get a bath and have his hair combed. I confirmed that yes, that is what had taken place. Well then he wanted to know what they cleaned off of him. Why was he dirty when he was just born? I explained that since he had been inside mommy's tummy for so long that he had blood and stuff (I honestly have no idea what else is on a baby) and since there is blood inside our bodies, that is what gets on babies. There. I handled that quite well if I do say so myself.

But we weren't done yet. He came back a few minutes later and told me that he thought I was wrong. He said that since my favorite food is Mexican food then that was obviously what was in my tummy and therefore Mexican food is what they had to wash off of a brand spanking new baby Connor. Specifically enchiladas. I was a little surprised. I said, "So let me get this straight. You believe that you came into the world as a brand new tiny baby covered in enchiladas because that is what I like to eat? Are you sure about this?" He said, "Oh yes Mommy that is what happened, they cleaned the food off of me and then took me to get my hair brushed because that is the way God made it."

We are going back to the baskets in the water story, because that is all I think I can handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment